Last week I had the pleasure of attending a Garden Pary at the Big Carrot Green Roof in Toronto with my good friend Joy McCarthy of Joyous Health. This party was hosted by Genuine Health, the makers of one of my favourite products, Greens + . This party was an amazing way to kick off the summer and was a reminder of how important spending time in nature is to our health. You can see the Big Carrot's rooftop space below.
Naturopathic Doctor Alan Logan, the author of Your Brain on Nature was a featured speaker and gave us all some important takeaways regarding the health benefits of nature. Some key points we learned:
- Those who live in settings with more green space display significantly lower signs of mental distress than those who don't.
- Being in nature actually calms the amygdalla, which is the fear centre of the brain. This equates to lower levels of anxiety.
- Those who live in urban settings can gain the above mentioned health benefits by spending 30 minutes in nature (or in a green space like the Big Carrot rooftop)
The moral of the story? Get outside and spend time in nature to reduce anxiety, experience greater mental calm and enhance your mood.
Another highlight of this summer party was the amazing, healthful food and beverages that were provided. Genuine Health has kindly provided me with two drink recipes that were SO delicious and packed full of antioxidants and phytonutrients (plant nutrients).
I’m excited to share these recipes because they use Genuine Health’s staple product Greens +. I love Greens+, because it is an extremely simple way to add the benefits of concentrated green vegetables and herbs into your daily life. Of all green powders these taste the best (I promise!). In my nutrition practice I take an evidence-based approach and I always appreciate that Genuine Health has the research to back how beneficial their products are. If you’re interested in what the research shows about Greens+ click here.
Here are some ingredients you’ll find in Greens + powder that are so beneficial for your health:
- Concentrated green vegetables nutrients such as wheat grass and spirulina.
- A healthy dose of eight different strains of probiotics.
- Soluble fibre to help your body eliminate toxins and promote healthy bowel movements.
- Energizing herbs like ginseng and ginkgo biloba that also create greater mental clarity.
- Mega dose of antioxidants that provide protective benefits to all the cells in your body, as well as anticancer effects.
There are a number of different Greens+ formulations that target specific health needs such as detoxification, increased energy, bone health and most recently Genuine Health has released organic formulations.
One great way to enjoy Greens+ is on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning, stirred into a glass of room temperature water. This allows for immediate absorption and trust me, your body will thank you with increased energy! I made a video last summer about Greens+ O, check it out for more info here.
You can also enjoy Greens + in your smoothie or other drinks. Below are two recipes Genuine Health has created and both are extremely delicious. My personal favourite is the Greens+ martini, which combines the flavours of lemonade and green apple to create a refreshing summer drink that will make you feel great too. These recipes will be staples for me this summer and for years to come. Click on the images below to see a larger version. Enjoy!