I recently got myself some Barlean's Omega 3 Swirl Oil and really liked it! I used it in my Nutrient Intensive Salad recipe as part of the dressing. It tasted great and gave me a great dosage of EPA/DHA from fish oil. Here's my personal unbiased review of this product.
What I like:
- Tastes great! I tried the key lime flavour and it was awesome.
- You would never know it's fish oil.
- There's no fishy after taste and no sneaky fish burps creeping up later on.
- One tablespoon gives you a complete daily dosage of EPA/DHA (These are seriously healthy brain-boosting, mood enhancing, anti-inflammatory, omega 3 fats.)
- This product is sweetened with xylitol. Xylitol is an extremely low calorie sweetener extracted from the bark of a tree. It enhances the sweetness of products with no adverse health effects and no consequence to your gut.
- It's a great base for a salad dressing. (If you like thick, creamy dressings)
- It's a fantastic way to take a very beneficial supplement, without feeling like you're taking a supplement. This is especially useful for a picky child or if you simply don't like taking supplements.
What can be improved:
The product aims for a thick, smoothie like texture. In order to a achieve this there are a few thickening agents added, including xanthan gum, guar gum and gum arabic. I'm not a huge fan of these. Xanthan gum in particular comes from a micro organism on corn or soy and then is extracted and ground into a powder. People allergic to corn or soy may have issues or sensitivities from xanthan gum and should avoid.
All in all this is a great product! There are a lot of health benefits and it really is great tasting. Although some of the thickening agents aren't the greatest, they aren't too bad for one's health unless they have some sensitivities to corn or soy. Personally, I'd love to see an Omega 3 Swirl product without the thickeners and a thinner consistency. That would be awesome as a salad dressing base.
There are several different flavours and potencies to choose from. I won't bore you with all that info. If you're interested in seeing all the different varieties, here is the product page: http://www.barleans.com/omega-swirl.asp . Regardless of the potency or flavour, they are all great products and all provide great health benefits.
If you're looking for a place to buy these products in Toronto here are my favourite spots to buy health food products.