There seems to be a hot new trend in the nutrition world with something that has been around for many years. The mason jar. I have been seeing many blog posts and articles popping up on facebook, twitter and other social media channels featuring recipes in mason jars. After checking out some great recipes I wanted to find out what all the hype is about so I came up with the great recipe you will find below.
After making my salad and eating it (it was amazing by the way) I understood exactly what the hype is about. These recipes are great for a couple reasons.
- Plastic containers are no good for us due to the use of chemical estrogens that mess with our hormonal balance. Mason jars are glass. Problem solved.
- Mason jars are much cheaper than other glass containers. A pack of 12, 1-litre jars cost me $15.80 after tax. That’s $1.31 per jar as compared to the typical $3-$5 for a glass container.
- You can fit A LOT of salad in a 1-litre jar. It makes for a great, filling meal.
This recipe is completely plant-based, vegan, gluten-free, full of protein, fibre and omega 3 fats.
- 1 cup leafy greens – I used a mix of kale, chard and spinach
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1/3 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/3 cup red grapes
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinaigrette
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
Method of preparation
- Cook your quinoa. I used my rice cooker.
- Place ½ cup of quinoa at the bottom of the mason jar
- Mix dressing ingredients together in a bowl and pour over quinoa
- Add in grapes
- Add in pomegranates
- Add in hemp hearts
- Add in leafy greens
The dressing is best kept in dense items, like quinoa. The dressing will stay settled there as long as you keep the jar upright. When ready to serve give your bottle a good shake so the dressing will mix and then serve in a bowl.