As a holistic nutritionist and personal trainer weight loss is something I am asked about constantly. It is something that is top of mind for most everyone, whether it is a motivator to lead a more healthy lifestyle or completely overwhelming, pushing someone into an unhealthy quick-fix diet. I am very clear on my stance regarding weight loss. It should be achieved by means of a healthy lifestyle rather than a quick-fix diet.
Quick-fix diets are never a permanent solution. Here’s why:
- They are often lacking one macronutrient, whether its protein, fat or carbohydrates. Our body needs all three over the long term. Period.
- They bring you into starvation mode by restricting calories. Yes, you may lose weight very fast if you restrict calories, but this is unsustainable for your body. Your body will eventually cause cravings so intense that you will end up bingeing afterwards.
- They don’t fit into real-life. You can’t follow them at a restaurant, can’t enjoy with friends at a party and end up bringing boring food to family get-togethers. This can be very isolating for us social creatures.
- They’re no fun. They deprive us of foods we love and this usually leads us to revolt against the diet and then eat way too much of the foods we love aka gain back the weight lost.
Over the last several months I’ve been reflecting on my own experiences with dieting. As a former overweight child, obese teenager and yo-yo dieter I’ve been there too many times. Even as a nutritionist I’ve been curious and tried different quick-fix diets to see how they work. They always work quickly and they always fail quickly.
During my reflection on dieting I’ve imagined the opposite of quick-fix dieting, which I coin the “Lean Eats Lifestyle”. I like this name, because it’s not about dieting, it’s about reaching your body’s optimal state of lean-ness by means of a healthy lifestyle full of great eating habits. When I day-dream about living life on the Lean-Eats Lifestyle, here’s what I imagine:
- Eating super tasty foods all-day long.
- Your tummy feeling great after each meal.
- Saving money, because you’re buying real food, not packaged “diet” foods.
- Saving time, by cooking simply and strategically prepping food in advance.
- Feeling satisfied, because you don’t deny yourself things you enjoy. You just eat the highest quality indulgences in the right amount.
- Feeling energized all day, because your body doesn’t have to process excess, fake foods. Everything you put in your body serves your body in feeling great.
- Forgetting the word diet, because it is now irrelevant to your life. You are optimally lean and have never felt better.
Sounds pretty great huh? Well this can be you too. Let’s start today with one simple change. I have a great recipe for you to enjoy. This is my version of a protein bar, made from real, delicious foods.
Lean Eats Lifestyle Protein Bar
- 3 eggs
- 1.5 scoops Genuine Health Vegan Proteins +
- 3 cups oats (soak for 2 hours prior OR use quick oats and don’t soak)
- 1 + 3/4 cup egg whites
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 banana
- 1/2 cup goji berries or blueberries
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 30 drops liquid stevia extract
- 36 dark chocolate chips
Method of preparation
1) Combine all ingredients, except chocolate chips in a blender and blend untill liquified.
2) Pour a half cup of the mixture into a muffin tray OR a bar tray (see mine from pampered chef)
3) Bake for 15 minutes in oven preheated to 350 degrees farenheit.
4) Once baked top protein bars with 3 chocolate chips each.
5) Store in the fridge once complete. These will last approximately 2 weeks.
How long does this take?
- -5-7 mins prep time
- -15 mins bake time
Nutrient Break down
Serving size: 1 bar
Healthy Fat: 6
Whats so great about this recipe?
- These protein bars can be used as a snack or double as a meal. They are a great grab and go whole food breakfast. Eat 1 for a snack or eat 2 for a full meal.
- These lil’ guys are full of protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and fibre. They are a great addition to a lean eating lifestyle as they will have your metabolism running high for hours.
- There is no added sugar. These will not spike your blood sugar and lead to weight gain.
Thanks for taking the time to read. Please share this recipe with anyone that would benefit from these tasty bars!