What are they?
Goji berries have become one of North America's favourite superfoods, known for their great taste, high nutrient value and antioxidant content. Goji berries are adaptogens, which mean they work with the whole body system to help achieve balance and adapt to stress.. The adaptogenic properties of goji berries lend themselves to enhance our stamina, longevity and sexual energy according to Chinese medicinal system.
Where do they came from?
There are about eighty-five different species of goji berries in all parts of Asia and about 15 different goji berry species in Northern and Central America. The goji berries of Asia and America are remarkably similar.
Goji berry considered as an energy boosting medicinal product called “adaptogen” which has the following benefits:
- Enhance Libido: The combination of nutrients in goji berries stimulate a higher production of human growth hormone and testosterone. Testosterone increases sexual desire in both men and women.
- Antioxidants: Goji Berries have a very high antioxidant content that fight free radicals and help protect DNA from mutation (aka turning cancerous).
- Protecting Vision. The goji berry contains two key antioxidant powerhouses that lend to healthy vision: zeaxanthin and lutein. These two helpers fight off free radicals that damage cells in the eye.
- Immune System Booster: Goji berries have high levels of beta carotene (pre-cursor to vitamin A) as well as Vitamin C. Both of these nutrients stimulate the immune system to fight off invaders like viruses and bacteria.
How do I use them?
Goji berries can be used in the following:
- Powdered goji berries can be purchased in bulk bags to be used in smoothies, juices or as flavouring in yogurt or cereal bowls.
- The dried fruit is the most commonly used form of goji berries and are delicious as part of a snack on their own, in cereal, yogurt, trail mix, granola or nut and seed bars.
- Can be purchased as a juice concentrate and taken as a high powered nutrient shot or added to a freshly squeezed juice or smoothie.
How often and how much should I use?
Goji berries can be enjoyed daily, but limit them to 1 to 3 tbsp as the dried berries have a high sugar content when consumed in excess.
What brands should I use?
There are many great brands that offer goji berries. I stick to these brands, as purchasing goji berries in bulk runs the risk of being exposed to chemicals and pesticides. Some good quality brands include:
- Navitas Naturals
- Organic Traditionals
- Mum's original
How much do they cost?
Goji berries typically run the cost of $19-$25 per pound. When purchasing a half pound bag a typical cost is $12-$15.
Want to learn more about goji berries? Check these out:
- David Wolfe's Superfoods: The Food and Medicine of the Future.
- Michael Murray's Encyclopedia of Healing Foods.
FREE 15 minute consultation